Future Trends: Beer and Cider is taking place on the 26th June 2017 at The Brewery, London
The Brewery occupies the site of the former Whitbread brewery in East London. In 1750 Samuel Whitbread, having bought property in the area, transplanted his operations to Chiswell Street from two smaller breweries in Old Street and Brick Lane.
Within a few years Whitbread’s brewery had become a vast operation, its sheer size making it an attraction worthy of royal visits. George III, Queen Charlotte, Queen Elizabeth II and Elizabeth the Queen Mother all visited the site.
Brewing on the site continued until 1976, the last tanker pulling out of the South Yard on April 13, bringing to an end a 225-year era.
Did you know…
Beer to the ceiling: The vaults beneath the Porter Tun room were filled to the ceiling with porter (a dark beer that took a year to mature) after Whitbread had the idea of bulk storage without using casks. At first the liquid ran through the walls ‘as through a sieve’. It took advice from John Smeaton (The Smeaton Vaults), designer of the third Eddystone Lighthouse, and Josiah Wedgewood, to help make them water-tight. Or beer-tight.
Kings and Queens: The King George III and Queen Charlotte rooms were named after the royal visit to the brewery by George III and family in 1787. The largest once held the equivalent of 3,800 barrels of beer.
Please click here to view accommodation options in the local area